CUCILync would start up and sit at the signing-in screen for a while. Then you will see a message that says "The start-up timed out due to performance issues. Please try again. Unknown error. Please contact you..." It looks like this:
In order to fix this you will need to set the "Remote Access Connection Manager" service to manual and the stop the service.
1. On a windows machine you can click "Start" then "Run"
2. Type in "services.msc" and hit enter.
3. When the services windows opens find the "Remote Access Connection Manager". Right click and go to properties.
4. Change the "Startup type" to "Manual" and click the "Stop Button"
5. Click "Ok" and make sure the service is manual and stopped.
Now you will need to restart CUCILync.
1. On your Lync window click on the arrow beside the settings icon and go down to "Tools" and then "Stop Cisco UC"
2. Give it just a minute to quit and then go back to the arrow beside the settings icon and go down to "Tools" and "Start Cisco UC"
When the software starts back up it should work if all your other settings are correct. Of course, this article assumes you have a working CUCILync environment. In my case only a couple of PCs have experienced this issue.
Special thanks to my intern Jimmy for finding the solution to this one.